Another week about planning. After getting a lot of advice to continue iterating on Johnny Fuego, we've decided to reimagine his design before going forward and finishing the new model. I've also taken the time to revamp the art doc.
Documentation and Planning
I took a few hours to go ahead and renovate the art doc. I think this will help to more easily communicate what we're going for, to both our own team members as well as others that want to better understand the artistic side to our game.
In this update, I cleaned out a lot of old, irrelevant, or repeated information. I cut down on word count, and added more images.
There's now more documented information in all sections of the document - characters, environments, UI, and VFX. Plus each of these now have at least one pipeline explaining our process for working on them.
With each week, I'll continue to add to this. Hopefully now, these updates will be a lot smaller - I'm hoping to keep them under an hour weekly from now on.
Johnny Fuego Renovation
We got feedback that our Johnny Fuego could use more visual interest as we continue going forward and renovated our 3D model. So, this weekend I took some time to make a few new Fuego concepts, which then got brought to feedback.
Here we are again. After a month of break, everyone's come back and begun working again on our games.
Our Lucha Megadrive team has begun meeting, several times already in fact, and getting our larger team organized. Our art team is the biggest section - there are four of us among the 10 total members of the team, so we're already starting to have our own smaller art-specific meetings.
I've taken on the role of Lead Artist, helping to organize documentation and communication. I'm also taking up some of the producer role, since I'll be working with marketing once I finish up my first tasks this semester.
The very first large task I have is revamping Johnny Fuego. The model is going to be higher poly than where we left it last semester. Which means we'll need to entirely rework UVs and texturing. I'll be working on that over the next 2 weeks. Then, I'll be doing the same for Nuclear Winter, who will probably get a bigger character redesign overall.
I'm also working on improving art documentation, since it really needs more images and explanation of intention.
I have, on a personal level, been in one of the worst places I've been in a while. I'm trying to not let that get in the way though, as best as I can, and just power through it. I'm excited to go forward, and to be working with the team that I get to work with.