Our cabinet is finished! We printed the stickers and art for the button map. It came out really nice! We also put on a finish to keep it from getting damaged, and it ALSO gave the effect of it being painted. Plus, our team's poster came out really nice too.
We all signed the cabinet at the bottom (our names were right under the monitor too, but we wanted to sign it) and but up some black tape on the back where some wooden pieces showed around the pillar.
The build is complete. it's just smooth sailing now!
My main focus this week was making the best graphics I could for our arcade cabinet! I spent more time than I normally would on renders like these, but I really wanted to make them the best that I can. Now all that's left over the next few days is to make the controller graphic for the cabinet, and new icon for Johnny Fuego in the character select menu. Plus recording the live footage for our team demo reel later today.
I also recorded my painting process of each of these, and put the sped up footage in my personal demo reel. I think it turned out pretty nice, and I'd like to add that after I finish editing it over the next week.
This last week our game went to PAX East! Really cool knowing other people got to play it!
In the meantime, I finished Nuclear Winter's boar, did some crowd panel UI that will come in when things get hype, and a couple of crowd members as well. Updated the crowd because I didn't want the army of shadows in the background like before. Problem is, now there's just three members that are seen of the crowd. I'm thinking of making them into silhouettes and placing them far away (on top of the temple, maybe?). Alternatively, Gabe suggested that I might change colors and pose slightly so they're a bit different, while still not having to go through the effort of a whole new character. I might do that, though I worry how sloppy it may look.
But for now, my focus is on the arcade cabinet. I've finished all the assets that I've had on the list to go in the game. Now I need to have the cabinet done this week. The assets of Winter and Fuego that are going on the cabinet will also be used in other places - the character select screen, the poster we need for our game's display, etc.
Here's hoping I've got some great renders for the cabinet this time next week.
It has been a bit since I last updated - a lot has gotten done in that time! Over spring break, I was first able to finish Johnny Fuego's textures. I made 12 alternate colors, and then we noticed a few errors with the texturing that needed to be fixed. So I went back into substance painter, fixed all these issues, and brought it back out!
Now we currently have 6 alternate colors, plus original Fuego. I'll continue adding more Fuego colors when I get the chance.
Another thing that took up a lot of my time the last few weeks was finishing Winter's textures. The icy arms gave me the most trouble, but after getting feedback in class last week I felt like we got to a point that we're happy with for her current look.
Her pants were originally going to be a liiiittle lighter than they are now, but we got feedback that it should break up the torso and feet a bit more, so I darkened them.
The last thing I've worked on is Winter's deity - The Demon Boar. Its tusks are made of ice, and its body is made to imitate the colors found on Winter's costume (well, rather, it's the other way around). It's not quite done yet, but this is what I've got!
Now the heftiest assets are done, all I've got left is a list of smaller tasks to complete in the next 3 weeks. It's pretty intimidating entering the last month, but I'm giving it my all.