We're starting to focus our vision more and more on two of the three games we've been working on. Originally, we thought we'd be working on the farming game for a very short period of time. We ended up going through with that idea two weeks more, but now it looks like we're coming to a stop with that one.
So our focus remains on the other two games - the one we've been calling Dungeons (boy we could use a better name for that), and the other one we've been calling Lucha Megadrive.
In Dungeons, I decided to do a bit more concept work for possible boss enemies. Didn't wanna just stick with the first boss I thought of. So I went for a boss with a completely different look and color scheme - this one is based on Paimon!
Meanwhile, we were preparing work for QA testing of the tabletop version of Dungeons. With this, we had a sort of DM board, dungeoneer sheets, and enemy sheets. The DM board allowed the player that's playing as the dungeon boss to keep their cards and attacks hidden - and I had the time, I wasn't doing any other work that night, so I painted Bael on it to make it fit the look more.
Then we needed cards for allies and enemies -- so I decided to do some quick concept work for those as well! I kept the enemy designs to the theme of Bael - making them based off of two of Bael's three heads. For the dungeoneers, I gave them each different body types and colors to help people keep track of who they were playing. I also thought up some neat lore, that these dungeoneers were a part of an elite mage group that accidentally summoned these dungeons and had to go in and take the demons within down. But whoops - their magic was powerful enough that they created an anti-magic seal on these dungeons -- meaning they have to pick up weapons within the dungeon depths in order to fight.
I had a lot of fun making these. Next week, if we continue to work on this game, I'll be making simple 3d models for the modular rooms.
We also did a lot of planning and changing for our fighting game concept. After discussing it many times, we've decided the best course of action would be to make simple 3d models. We feel that will be easier to adjust animations after getting feedback (without having to redraw tons of frames each time we need something changed), and we can use the same rigs on multiple characters. That means by the end of the semester, we could have two simple characters in the game! And honestly, that would just be great.
Based on this new plan, we've started reworking our schedules and deadlines, and have been meeting with professors to get advice. We also did a lot of research for the pipeline from maya to unity, as well as lighting in unity.
We also worked on some of the lore for the story, and made an emblem for one of the champion fighters - which we stuck on the ring where they'll be fighting. In the next couple weeks, between time working on character animations, I'll be working on the ring and putting it in 3d at a better scale.
Oh, and I came up with our teams name - "Nitro Fist." I think it's fitting if we go with our fighting game!
© Cole Kirkpatrick 2017